eBikes and apparel that meet exacting standards of road worthiness and inclusive fit qualify for the “eBike Chick Approved” sticker, patch and seal.
It takes a lot for an ebike or a product to be included in the eBike Chick Approved list. eBikes must be safe, legal, size-inclusive and personally tested. Apparel has to be technical enough for a ride, fashionable enough to stop for a drink, and be available in sizes to fit all riders. Here’s the lowdown on what qualifies to make the list:
For ebikes, they must meet the following criteria in order to be included in the list:
- Must be a class 1, 2 or 3 ebike. (See People For Bike’s model legislation for the technical definition of each class.) No hybrids. No combos. No “can be either”s. The ebike needs to be sold as a single class of ebike and stay that way.
- Must be sold in sizes that fit riders down to 5ft (152cm) tall.
- Must meet either the UL2849 (US) or EN15194 (EU) standard for ebike electrical systems. (Some exceptions can be made for legacy systems with proven reliability.)
- Personally ridden and tested by myself or a close associate.
Apparel must meet the following standards:
- Have specific women-friendly features, not just a relabeling of guy stuff.
- Be versatile on and off the bike.
- Have technical features that make riding more comfortable.
- Be available in a variety of sizes to fit both smaller and larger riders, and everyone in-between.
- Preference is given to women-owned businesses, but not a requirement.
High-quality ebike-related products can also be included in the eBike Chick Approved listing if they have a special interest for ebike riders.
If you’d like to submit your product for consideration in the eBike Chick Approved list, contact me.